Saturday, December 28, 2013

Recovering from a "Pinteresting" Christmas

I'm not really sure what to think about Pinterest. I like the idea of it, as a place to stash pictures of things you like. But it has been so embraced by the women in my circles that I don't dare sign up for it. I'm afraid I'll have to forfeit my man-card or something.

When my wife first signed up for Pinterest, she spent a lot of time the first day pinning things and organizing her "boards". I wasn't worried about the time she spent. I assumed she would spend a lot of time at first, but it would taper off after a month or two,and she would eventually ignore it completely (and you know what happens to those who assume).

Her Pinterest activity grew when she realized she could make things she saw online. There was a kids project here, some decorations there. Before long, we had a new sewing machine, a new camera to replace the one she wore out, and one room plus one kitchen table converted to a crafting center.

The holidays brought out a new dimension to the Pinterest obsession. Burlap became the fabric of choice for our rustic Thanksgiving. Christmas meant hand-made gifts for friends and familly. With these bold projects came the stress of completing them on time. It's hard to scrape together enough time for crafts when you're a full-time mother and an entrepreneur. Some people had to receive store bought gifts, instead.

Christmas afternoon, I found my wife lying on the couch, barely able to keep her eyes open. She asked me why she felt so tired. The first thing that came to my mind was, "Babe, you just had your first Pinteresting Christmas. I'd be tired, too."

Some days we're up to our eyeballs in sewing boxes and fabrics on the dining room table. On those days, neglected dishes.line in the dirty half of the sink, Sometimes, I sometimes wonder if this Pinterest thing is worth it. But when I see the smile on my wife's face as her creativity flows through her sewing machine, when she smiles at the satisfactory work of her hands, I'm thankful for joyful challenge that Pinterest brings.

Who can find a virtuous and capable wife?
    She is more precious than rubies.
Her husband can trust her, and she will greatly enrich his life.
She brings him good, not harm, all the days of her life.
She finds wool and flax and busily spins it.
...
Her hands are busy spinning thread, her fingers twisting fiber.
...
She makes her own bedspreads. She dresses in fine linen and purple gowns.
...
She makes belted linen garments and sashes to sell to the merchants.
...
She carefully watches everything in her household and suffers nothing from laziness.
Her children stand and bless herHer husband praises her:
“There are many virtuous and capable women in the world, but you surpass them all!”


No comments:

Post a Comment